45 MINUTES, PLUS COOLING MAKES 1KG
Granola is a great way of enjoying all different types of dried fruits, nuts and seeds that you might not otherwise eat in your diet. It has a great texture and it’s so tasty, especially with the hit of mixed spice.
YOU WILL NEED
- PESTLE AND MORTAR OR FOOD PROCESSOR (STANDARD BLADE)
- MEASURING SPOONS
- WEIGHING SCALES
- LARGE MIXING BOWL
- WOODEN SPOON
- 2 LARGE BAKING TRAYS
- OVEN GLOVES
- CHOPPING BOARD
- AIRTIGHT CONTAINER
- 200g mixed nuts, such as almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, brazil nuts, pecan nuts
- ½ teaspoon ground mixed spice
- 500g rolled porridge oats
- 100g mixed seeds, such as sunflower, chia, sesame seeds, linseeds
- 80g runny honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 250g mixed dried fruit, such as apricots, dates, cranberries, blueberries, raisins, prunes
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4.
- Roughly bash up the nuts in a pestle and mortar or pulse in a food processor – leave some fine and some chunky.
- In a large bowl, mix the nuts, mixed spice, oats, seeds, honey and oil together well to coat.
- Divide between 2 large baking trays and spread out evenly.
- Using oven gloves, carefully place in the hot oven for 30 minutes, or until nicely golden, stirring regularly. Meanwhile…
- On a chopping board, roughly chop any large dried fruit.
- Once golden, remove the trays from the oven and leave to cool.
- Mix in the dried fruit, then place in an airtight container until ready to eat.
- Serve each portion of granola (50g per person is about right) with milk or yoghurt and some fresh seasonal fruit.
|Sat fat (g)||2.1|
All of Jamie’s Food Revolution Day recipes have been written with nutrition in mind. While some recipes are more indulgent and should only be eaten occasionally as part of a balanced diet, the majority are kept in check for calories, saturated fat and salt, to help you prepare quick, nutritious meals with fresh ingredients.
JAMIE’S TOP TIP
“Buy a big batch of ingredients like the list I’ve given you here, mix it all up and just grab a handful per person whenever you need it – it will last for months. “