SERVES 6 | 30 minutes
This is colourful, seriously tasty and fun to make. Feel free to use other firm fruit and vegetables that are in season where you live, or leave out the wraps and eat it as a salad, if you prefer.
You will need
- Box grater
- Chopping board
- Weighing scales
- Large bowl
- Optional: Rubber gloves
- Optional: Knife
- Empty jam jar with lid
- Measuring spoons
- 2 small raw beetroots, different colours if possible (roughly 150g)
- 2 carrots
- 150g white cabbage
- 1 firm pear
- ½ a bunch of fresh mint
- ½ a bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 6 small wholemeal tortilla wraps
- 50g feta cheese for the dressing
- 5 tablespoons natural yoghurt
- ½ teaspoon English mustard
- 3 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Wash the beetroots and carrots under cold running water, scrubbing with a scrubber to get rid of any dirt (there’s no need to peel them).
- Pick off and discard the wispy ends from the beetroots.
- Hold a box grater steady on a chopping board, then gripping the root end, coarsely grate the carrots, stopping before your fingers or knuckles get too close to the grater. Place the grated carrots into a large bowl.
- Coarsely grate or finely slice the cabbage, then discard the core and add to the bowl.
- Remove the stalk from the pear, coarsely grate (core and all), then place it into the bowl.
- Finally, hold the root end of the beetroots and coarsely grate (you may want to wear rubber gloves for this), then add to the bowl.
- Pick the mint and parsley leaves, then discard the stalks. Tear or finely chop the leaves on a board and add to the bowl.
- Add all the dressing ingredients to a jam jar.
- Put the lid securely on the jar and shake well.
- Have a taste and see whether you think it needs a bit more yoghurt, vinegar or oil – you want it to be slightly too acidic, so that it’s still nice and zingy once you’ve dressed your rainbow salad.
- Drizzle most of the dressing over the salad – just remember you can always add more but you can’t take it away, so be cautious.
- Divide the salad between the tortilla wraps, then crumble a little feta over each.
- Roll up the wraps, tucking them in at the sides as you go, then serve.
191 cals, 7.6g fat (2.4g saturated), 6g protein, 23.3g carbs, 10.3g sugar, 0.74g salt
Jamie’s Top Tip
Remember that box graters are very sharp so use them carefully. Hold hard fruit and vegetables with a firm grip and use nice big chunks so that your hands are safely out of the way. When your knuckles get too close to the grater, stop grating and discard the leftovers.